Monday, March 2, 2009

A dinner gone terribly wrong!

Yesterday was a glorious disaster of a meal! My best friend was coming over to enjoy a home cooked meal. She hates to cook, and well basically never does! She is a picky eater, no spice! Here is the issue...I LOVE SPICE. I think that is an understatement, there is not a word to encompass how much I adore, worship, will walk over fire for a spicy dish! MMMMM. Back to my issue, a meal with no spice. To me this spells bland. I had really great intentions and started out with a coconut base, soy, ginger, garlic, all relatively simple things. Put that over some chicken in my slow cooker and we were off. Two hours later it is taste test time! It smelt lovely, but it was not good. I wanted to toss the whole dish. It was too sweet. Almost like a candied chicken.
I needed to try to fix it, so in go onions, cilantro, more garlic and yes, curry powder people. The result....a dish I could stomach, but oddly enough, one she loved! Lets just say it will never be made in my house again!

No comments: